We always wanted Rusted Moss to have flexible accessibility settings. The initial release did have an accessibility menu inspired by Celeste with ways for a player to customise their experience rather than the typical "easy", "medium", "hard" options. However, player feedback coming in pointed out that our "invincibility" option is very drastic without much in-between. Using that feedback as a starting point, we put together a list of changes meant to give players more ways to adjust their game experience.
This update expands the accessibility options to make them more than just allowing a player to finish the game. A player might be able to defeat a boss with "invincibility" on or complete a challenge course with "flying". However, there's still a lot of room to give the player the option to adjust the game to their liking. It isn't just about being able to finish the game; it is also about being challenged.
Our default difficulty is based on how we personally like to play the game as well. I don't think it is possible to have a "one size fit all" solution for every single player so we also added the ability to increase as well as decrease certain stats. We just wanted to be more flexible.
I don't think it is perfect and ideally it would have been nice to give more flexible grappling hook settings too. However, we didn't expect Rusted Moss to become such a big game and it was coded as though it were a two month long project. Some foundational code makes some of these settings impossible to implement without reworking the whole system.
Check out the Rusted Moss Accessibility Trailer:
We also have some QoL stuff bundled in this update!
- Option to disable challenge course timer
- Players can now increase and decrease base starting health/mana
- Added health/mana regeneration option
- Players can adjust boss base health percentage
- Players can adjust enemy base health percentage
- Ability to turn off death pit damage
Quality of Life
- Mana stones now heal player fully on use
- Added journal to keep track of lore found
- UI also has a way to look at trinkets when not at a save point
- Can view current upgrades a player has on the UI
- Added ability to rebind the grapple and shoot button
- Added extra colours for custom Fern palettes (Changing Fern's Colour Palette Guide)
- Disabling screenshake now also removes camera movement caused by gun recoil
Just wanted to also give a special shoutout to Riuku who helped us put this update together! Wouldn't have been possible without him.
You can check out his website HERE to see his game dev stuff.
Get Rusted Moss
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.